The Last Frontier

The Last Frontier

Friday, September 11, 2009

Not so Great Expectations


Tomorrow morning I have to take the Praxis II: English Competency test, which is not, as some might think, a test of my knowledge of the English language, rather a test of everything the word encompasses. Let me explain: in Alaska, as in most states, one has to be "Highly Qualified" in order to teach a specific subject at the secondary level (i.e. a masters in Biology to teach Biology). The big difference for me is that when in Iowa, I was never required to teach a mainstream class, therefore I was not required to be "Highly Qualified". This, however, is not the case in Alaska where it is assumed that the one teaching study skills or resource, is basically an English teacher (which is pretty much true, as well as a math, science and social skills teacher but lets not get into that), which leads to all secondary special educators needing to procure a "highly qualified" status.

This brings us back to tomorrow morning's test....ack. I would be just fine taking the Jr. High level test, which focuses on young adult literature.... a topic I am quite familiar with, but the test I have to take is the High School exam. Now, you may be thinking that the test would be filled with typical high school reading and writing material, but this is where you would be wrong! This test covers advanced poetic verse as well as Dickens and Chaucer, and when it gives you "samples" of work to identify, you have to know the author and title based on a 1-2 paragraph section. I am starting to regret that I did not double major in English Literature.

So, in preparation for this test I have bought the cliff notes for the most commonly referenced books on the test: Beloved, Great Expectations, Canterbury Tales, and Gulliver's Travels. In true form, I have just finished Great Expectations by Dickens and have yet to read the other three (though after scanning Beloved by Toni Morrison, I realize that I did, in fact, read it in college freshman English, thank you Paideia). The surprising thing is that I really enjoyed the short version of Great Expectations, and am seriously considering going out to purchase the full copy this weekend for leisurely reading.

All-in-all, wish me luck, pray for me and hope that I pass with a 64% (which by my calculations is the passing percentage for this particular test). If all else fails I am scheduled for the Jr. High test in November.

Oh, did I mention if I don't pass this test, the district will terminate my position at the end of the school year and I will have to re-apply for another? Crazy, I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment