The Last Frontier

The Last Frontier

Monday, July 13, 2009

9 Days and counting

It has suddenly occurred to me that in just over a week I will be leaving Iowa and heading north, way way north to Alaska. Eight days in a car with mom will make for either quality bonding time, or hair pulling irritation ( but most likely a combination of both).

I am not sure how I am going to adjust to all of this change. I have never before moved somewhere and not known a single soul. I am going to have to start from scratch. Meeting new friends, finding stores I like (hopefully there is a decent selection of gluten free goodies), even my online shopping habits are going to take a hit ( do you have any idea how much it costs to send things to Alaska.... read the fine print on the shipping disclosures).

I really have taken advantage of all of the support my family, friends and church have given me. I won't be able to just swing by to chat with Kelsey, or have mom bring my lunch when I leave it at home (unless an 8 day old sandwich sounds good), I won't even have to watch out on the roads for Annie's crazy driving habits!

Even with all of the uncertainty I am sure that there is more adventure than sadness ahead of me. With all of the moves we have made in the past, I have learned to make new friends and adapt to different environments (similar to many species of moose). Thanks Mom and Dad, who knew the uprooting of a family would be a life long gift :) I can just hear my dad and how excited he would be for this new chapter of my life. Mom, I know you are excited, but it will be hard to be 3,500 miles away when I need a hug.

That's all I have for today, Annie wanted me to write (apparently watching someone blog was on her top 10 list this evening, at least I made someone's night).

1 comment:

  1. So whats with this whole moving to alaska thing about again. I guess I was never told exactly why you are moving there.

    Your Cousin - Jason

    ReplyDelete