The Last Frontier

The Last Frontier

Monday, July 27, 2009

Gasp


We have gone to many different places throughout my life, the Rockies of the US, Australia, Europe, the Appalachains, and Jamaica, but nothing is quite as breathtaking as the Canadian/Alaskan Rocky mountains. The sites mom and I saw today are too beautiful for words, I tried to get a video of a view off of one of the observation decks but I know it did not do justice. We only saw a moose from far away and didn't get a picture, but the endless river systems and lakes were hard to take our eyes off of. Tonight we are staying in the small town of Tok before continuing on to Anchorage tomorrow morning (we want to leave by 5am for the 5.5 hour drive), where hopefully Carlos will be delivering my belongings (not the most organized moving company, but he assures me that my things will be there tomorrow). No more typing for me, I couldn't describe it accurately anyway.

We listened to Devil in the White City today by Erik Larson. The story is one of H.H. Holmes and his murderous activities surrounding the Worlds Fair in Chicago in 1892. Though the book is creepy (especially since it is true), it is riveting, and really neat to hear about the building and creation of the World's Fair (the book says that this is when Craker Jack and Shredded Wheat, along with the Ferris wheel were invented). A definite must read for history geeks :)

Thanks everyone for the well wishes!

2 comments:

  1. wow...... thats all i can say mags. it is so beautiful. need to see it for my own eyes.....someday. saving my pennies. best wishes for you in your new job and home. talk to you soon ..... troy

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey glad you made it Zoey looks a little scared in the first picture. I can not wait to visit. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete