The Last Frontier

The Last Frontier

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Trying to settle in


After a 4 am rousing start yesterday, we arrived in Anchorage at about 10:30. The roads were nowhere nearly as bad as we had expected. There was some loose gravel and several "ribbon" strips of pavement (where the permafrost made our trip seem more like a rollercoaster ride), but other than that, we had some smooth sailing. Glaciers, as we soon found out, are HUGE (obviously, but to see one in person is a bit different). We only saw the tops of one sticking out between the mountains (look carefully the valley of "snow" is actually the top of a glacier). Another day of incredible views and scenery.

Our first stop was Walmart, don't get me started on the costs of living here. We procured some cleaning supplies, an air mattress (as my belongings are STILL not here), curtain rods and other small knickknacks. After that, we needed to find us some munchies. The first store we came to (thanks to our little Garmin friend), was a Safeway... Mom and I both tried to hold back tears as, to our dismay, there was a thin (and I mean thin), selection of gluten free options. Thank goodness for Fred Meyer (whoever he is) and his mega-mart grocery store (he puts walmart to shame). This store has it all, I think Bestbuy, TJ Maxx, Target, Kohls and Homemakers all got together and had a baby. Not only did they have everything one could want, they had a GLUTEN FREE section!!!!! I cried in relief to find that I would not have to live off of rice chips and meat (Bridget, we even found Bob's Redmill Gluten Free oatmeal, both rolled and steal cut, certified and all).

Day two brought us to Home Depot and then we wandered to a discount furniture mart (I need a couch). The lady sold us a full sized couch (it is blue, but oh well, beggars can't be choosers) and a coffee table (similar to the one I left behind) for a whopping $225, brand-new (take that Craigslist). Now we sit in wait for our moving man Carlos to pull through, he has recently told us that he isn't sure when the furniture will get here, maybe today but who knows ( I guess that is what you get for a cheap mover).

The best part of all was when Mom proved her real worth. After figuring out that we may possibly be dish and furnitureless for a few days, we stopped at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for a pot, pan and silverware. Upon exit the woman looked at mom and wanted to know if she was over 55. I immediately exclaimed "You bet she is!", and what-do-you-know, we got the senior citizen disount... 20% off the entire purchase! We walked off with a whole set of wood handled silverware, a pot and pan for $8. Thank you Mom for grey hair :)

This afternoon I am off to the district office to sign all of my papers then mom and I are going to look for the dog park, as it has finally stopped raining. Thanks for all the prayers, miss you all already.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun. I wish i were there with you two. I hope you find a dog park for Zoey and not one that she will be with big dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie:

    Hope the weather clear up and you see some sunshine. TAlked with your Mom today, sorry to hear about the furniture, she also mentioned the "senior citizen" discount, that was funny. I goes without saying you must be feeling a lot of different and difficult emotions about now. I pray each night that God will help you with this change in your life and you will find this to be great adventure. He did place the Fred Meyer store there. I remember a similar store like that in Indiana only the spelling was Meijer. It did put Walmart to shame.

    Remember we are all thinking of you, we are all only an email away. I wish I could give you a hug right now, both of you. This is going to be quite a ride, enjoy it, make the most of it. TAke it from an old lady who sees how much she didn't take advantage of in the younger years. I have too many should've, could've, would've, wish they were "did it", "tried it", "experienced it". All I can say is YOU GO GIRL!!!!! Nancy

    ReplyDelete