The Last Frontier

The Last Frontier

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Settled in


After sleeping on an air mattress for a couple of nights, Carlos came through and delivered all of my stuff. It took a few days to get unpacked but we did, for the most part, get everything out of boxes. It feels so much more like home now that everything is all set up.

Mom and I have finally gotten everything set up (and managed to sort through some more things that I am going to take over to the Salvation Army..good thing I moved them). Let me catch you up since I last wrote. We stopped at the Moose's Tooth Brewery, I think I ate the best Caesar salad of my life, no joke. They are really known for their pizza and beer, both of which Mom enjoyed greatly.

On night two we stopped for some seafood and to take a peak at the downtown area, the inlet is beautiful and Simon and Seaforts was amazing. We met a nice waitress named Rachel who has been her just over three months and moved in from Indiana on a whim, she gave me her number.. who knows, I may just give her a call. She also pointed us to a beautiful trail, the Coastal Trail. The trail is over 10 miles long and covers the spanse of Cook Inlet. There were a ton of people out, either just walking after work, biking or jogging.
We checked out a church called Changepoint, a large non-demoninational church that seems to have taken over an old warehouse/shipping building. The Saturday afternoon service was small but the service was good. I think I will go back next weekend to see what the Sunday service is like.

Our next adventure took us further down on the coastal trail. I have uploaded a few pictures, this walk is gorgeous. We saw some salmon swimming upstream, and a bunch of goofy ducks dunking in the water for some food. This park is definitely going to be one of Zoey and my favorite places to visit during the summer (and I may have to learn how to cross country ski in the winter).

Today, with the weather clearing up, we took a trip to the zoo. The Anchorage zoo is beautifully laid out with gravel walking trails, natural habitats and heavily wooded areas. We saw many a playful bear, some reindeer (a small boy wanted to know where Santa was), musk ox, wolves, owls, deer, snow leopards, bald eagles, polar bears, and tons of other animals. I bought a season pass so that I can hang out year round.

That is all I have for now, no internet in my apartment, so I will try to update at least once a week. Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. sounds like fun. I wish I could be there. The place looks nice. I can not wait to visit. Love you lots and miss you tons. don't forget on Wednesday you get to open your own letters. Have fun and know that God is with you all the time. Call or text me. Love your lil si Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady, thanks for callin'. Hope you're doing well out in the Tundra! Also hope to visit you sometime this year... we shall see. I miss ya babe!

    ReplyDelete