The Last Frontier

The Last Frontier

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Skype me

I talked to the family today for the first time on Skype. Though Elizabeth and I discovered this nifty tool in college, it really had no practical use until now. Currently, I don't have a camera for my computer but hopefully the laptop that the school provides will come with one. It was fun to see Annie, Mom, CJ and Max... it made me feel just a little bit less lonely (Aunt Janie I don't know how you moved to Florida all those years ago without cell phones and e-mail, I couldn't have done it, you are much braver than I). Want to sign up: http://www.skype-official.com/

It must be raining across the entire country. Pounding rain woke me up this morning followed by a call from UNI telling me that there were tornado warnings in Cedar Rapids (because that is helpful information in a tornado free state) and that I should take cover. At first I was worried, but once common sense kicked in I realized that this I am not in Iowa anymore (did I mention that the call came at 6am, good morning Maggie). I must still be on their student list even though the only class I ever took with them was in Des Moines, last year.

Changepoint, the church mom and I checked out last weekend, was on the docket for this morning, but something kept nagging me about the "elders" in the church. Before heading out, I checked up on their website and found that the Elders run the church council and influence the pastoral team, oh yeah... and they are only men (plus they use a Bible verse to back up their decision). Now I have nothing wrong with churches that don't allow women to hold positions of influence ( okay, I kind of do), as that is their choice, as for my self, I just couldn't do it. This led me wandering the vast spanse of Google looking for a more suitable match and I think that I have found it, City Church in Anchorage. It seems laid back and even has a female youth pastor with a strong youth group (can anyone say volunteer?). I was going to go this morning, but missed the early service, so next Sunday... here I come.

As for now, I must attend to the peanut butter cookies that I made (gluten free makes for some seriously yummy, though crumbly, cookies). Zoey already figured out that licking the hot oven is NOT, in fact a good idea... she is smarter than she looks (wink, wink). I hope you all had a great weekend! Seize the week!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Maggie-

    I have SKYPE. Let's figure out a time someday.
    You start school so early. Our first official day is the 31st, with a few days of training the week before. The pictures look amazing. I will have to come visit.

    Kristin & Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have to visit! That will be fun! We can definitely schedule a skype time...i would love to chat.

    ReplyDelete