The Last Frontier

The Last Frontier

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Making Memories


While at Archivers the other day, I noticed a travel scrapbooking class and thought that maybe I should make one for Mom and I to remember the trip. We are going to do two pages per day and I am going to try to either photograph them or scan them in as updates. This is what the cover page looks like, pretty cool, huh?

So far, this is how our trip looks: We leave on Wednesday the 23rd and then drive up to Minneapolis to visit Judy (if you haven't heard she is doing MUCH better!), then we drive through Fargo into Canada and stay for night 2 in Winnipeg. The third day brings us to Edmonton where, I am informed by Annie, the world's second largest mall is located (no shopping for us, I am on a budget). For day four we head into Fort Nelson in British Columbia, I am not entirely sure what we will do here but I am assuming that there is a local fort that we can visit. I am looking forward to day five the most, we will be heading to Whitehorse in the Yukon Territory and along the way are going to stop at Laird hot springs, apparently they have over 14 varieties of orchids. After Whitehorse for the sixth wonderful day of our drive we will finally get to see the beautiful mountainous scenery and hopefully a couple of glaciers before we pull into Tok, AK for the evening. (Suddenly, while looking at my map I realize that we are only taking a 7 day trip, guess I have some counting issues, good thing I am going to be teaching Language Arts). After Tok, we should have about a 4 hour drive into Anchorage.

I shipped all of my stuff out on the 6th so I am hopeful that when we arrive on the 28th, it will all be in my apartment ready to get unpacked, otherwise the one sleeping bag I brought might get a big crowded with mom and me both in it.

I have also set up my phone so that I can send text messages to my blog, that may be the only way to update when we are in the middle of nowhere, hopefully it will work out alright.

Well, that's all for now. Annie and I are going to take a run to HyVee (local grocery store), I wonder where I will be making runs to once I get to Anchorage...

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to miss you, this blog is making me sad, but happy for you, but sad, but happy because if I'm sad then I'm selfish...

    PS, you should say you have a blog, I had to find this out on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie,
    Uncle Ron and I are so proud of you and your courage to make this move. It was 40 years ago almost to the day that I set out with Bapa and Gramma to move on my own to Florida from Wisconsin - not as far, but as foreign to me. Not knowing anyone, a brand new job and no idea what tommorow would bring. But what an adventure - and, as you know, that's where I met Uncle Ron and as they say, the rest is history. Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us each day. We love you and hope to be able to visit you in Alaska! Love Aunt Janie

    ReplyDelete